Many people, at some point in their lives, urgently want to find out how to treat hemorrhoids. This is a painful condition involving enlarged blood vessels in the anus, which can manifest as either internal or external hemorrhoids. The causes vary from one person to another; in many cases, a specific cause cannot be pinpointed even by a physician. If you find yourself suffering from hemorrhoids, your main priority is finding speedy relief. With this in mind, let’s look at some of the best simple treatments and lifestyle changes that can help you prevent or overcome this problem.
Dietary Guidelines to Prevent Hemorrhoids
One of the best ways to overcome hemorrhoids, or to reduce symptoms once they occur, is to make strategic changes in your diet. Some people find that certain foods trigger hemorrhoid symptoms. This requires you to pay attention to how you feel in relation to what you’ve eaten. Here are a few dietary tips that can help you avoid, manage or overcome hemorrhoids.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Water and other hydrating beverages are one of the most effective ways to treat hemorrhoids. Avoid or reduce your intake of alcohol, which has a dehydrating effect.
- Eat High-Fiber Foods – Foods that are rich in dietary fiber, such as whole grains, fresh fruits, green vegetables, beans and legumes, can help you avoid hemorrhoids. A good way to add more fiber to your diet is to take psyllium husks, an inexpensive supplement available in powder or capsule form in health food stores or online.
- Foods to Avoid – While experts dispute whether certain types of foods actually cause hemorrhoid inflammation, the fact is that certain foods do seem to trigger the problem for some people. These include very spicy foods, like hot peppers, and fatty foods. Avoiding deep fried foods such as French fries, onion rings, fried chicken and other greasy foods is usually a good practice for preventing hemorrhoids, as these foods are difficult for the body to digest.
Lifestyle Tips to Avoid Hemorrhoids
If you are looking to treat hemorrhoids, you should not only watch your diet but also be aware of the following lifestyle guidelines.
- Don’t Sit for Too Long – Sitting for long periods of time can aggravate hemorrhoids. If you have a job where you have to sit at a desk, make sure you take frequent short breaks.
- Wear Soft Undergarments – Cotton or other natural, breathable fabrics are best. Materials that are rough or that contain synthetic fibers may irritate your condition.
- Get Plenty of Moderate Exercise – Staying active helps you maintain healthy circulation and keeps blood pumping into all of your organs. On the other hand, strenuous exercise such as heavy weightlifting can actually aggravate hemorrhoid symptoms. The best approach is to get regular moderate exercise, which can include walking, yoga, cardio machines at a fitness center, or any type of workout that keeps you moving but doesn’t cause undue strain.
- Lose Weight if Necessary – Being overweight or obese can contribute to hemorrhoids. While this is not a quick fix if you need immediate relief, losing weight can help you avoid the problem in the future.
- Take Warm Baths – Luxurious, warm baths can be very relaxing and help soothe hemorrhoid symptoms. Adding therapeutic essential oils can make baths even more helpful.
While in extreme cases, hemorrhoids require surgery, most of the time they can be successfully treated with over-the-counter remedies and a few simple lifestyle changes.