Texas-Style Fried Cabbage
This cabbage is sauted together with jalapeno and onion, and gets an additional kick from the pinch of cayenne pepper. Somewhat spicy, but this high fiber diet recipe works well for any Southern meal! Cabbage will help prevent constipation, which will help prevent hemorrhoid symptoms.
Original recipe makes 4 servings
- 1 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 6 slices bacon
- 5 tablespoons corn bread mix
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the shredded cabbage into a big bowl, and sprinkle the sugar on top of it to remove the excess water in the cabbage. Put bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and place aside, reserving grease in skillet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cayenne pepper and cornbread mix. Mix in the cabbage until well blended. In the skillet the bacon was cooked in, saute jalapeno and onion until tender. Stir in cabbage, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the cabbage wilts (around 15 minutes). Stir in crumbled bacon, and serve right away.