Print Preview Area
Carne Asada Tacos or Al Pastor Tacos
This high fiber recipe comes from a taqueria (taco restaurant) in Mexico City. The directions are translated. You can use it for beef, pork, or just about any other kind of meat. The spice mix found in this recipe gives meat a very excellent flavor. It’s a healthy meal that will help ease your constipation and prevent hemorrhoids.
Original recipe makes 6 servings
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon water, or as needed
- 24 (5 inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch radishes, halved
Ready in 6 hours, 40 minutes (25 mins prep, 15 mins cooking)
- Put 2 cloves garlic, parsley,1/2 chopped onion, oregano, black pepper, paprika, anise seed, cumin, sage, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, soy sauce, vinegar, lime juice and orange juice, in a blender; pulse for 3 to 5 minutes, until a really well-blended paste is reached, scraping down sides when necessary. Spread paste on both sides of the flank steak. Wrap steak in plastic; refrigerate a minimum of 6 hours to overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Eliminate extra marinade from flank steak.
- Grill steak until it starts to become firm and hot, but is still slightly pink at the center, about 8 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Chop steak into small pieces and move to a platter; cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Put 3 cloves garlic, 1 chopped onion, chipotle peppers and tomatoes in a blender; pulse to preferred consistency. Add water if the salsa becomes too thick. Move salsa into a bowl.
- Heat tortillas on a microwave-safe plate until warm, for about a minute.
- Serve beef above stacks of two corn tortillas with salsa and sprinkle with excess cilantro, 1/2 chopped onion, and radishes.